Friday, August 7, 2009

August in the Ozarks

August in the Ozarks...the month that nature begins to ready itself for the winter that is to come. The changes are there, if you look for them...most plants have pretty well reached their peak and slowed down. Hummingbird feeders need to be filled more often. The creeks and streams are a little low.

We have had such a wet summer - our young trees have grown tremendously. They will need to be trimmed up a bit in the fall. Our Mimosa has gained back all that it lost in the ice storm and then some. The tiny pines and Scarlet Maple that I planted the summer I moved in now tower over the house - is there anything more comforting than coming home to a place where saplings that you nurtured now shade the lawn?

I hope you will share your own observations regarding August in your corner of the world...I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. There's wonderful satisfaction in planting something in your yard and seeing it respond,live and thrive. A visual sign that you touched that place and claimed it.
    So jealous you have room to plant trees. My little patch of heaven has such limited space. One tree in front and one in back is just enough, though. If I had room for more I'd plant some kind of evergreen that would stay green through the grey winters.

    Your picture and site look really great!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy. I like to think about the trees providing habitat for critters and shade for people long after I'm no longer here. Our farm had some really old oaks and it was fun to imagine the generations that those trees sheltered. I want to go on planting trees until the day comes that I can't hold a shovel any longer.

    ReplyDelete